Since I don't have access to most of my sewing supplies for now, I decided to work on something quick and fun for the holidays. That quick, fun thing ended up being a soft-crown spoon bonnet that popped up on ebay a couple days ago, right after I picked up a remnant that was the exact same color.
|From tbtfan on ebay|
It seemed to be a later-war, or immediately post-war bonnet, since it lacked a bavolet. I've seen soft crown bonnets in the 1850s all the way through the late 60's when full bonnets went out of fashion altogether. I tried to adhere to the original when making mine (although the seller didn't help me out much by mounting the bonnet correctly on the mannequin head), but I changed a few features to make it more adaptable; I replaced the gathered decoration at the neck with a bavolet and made the brim larger and more noticeably spoon-shaped. I've found that a higher bonnet flatters my face more.
|This is the closest to the actual color of the silk|
|I added a bonnet veil for an extra spooky-scary affect|
All it needs is flowers, a profusion under the brim and a big cluster of velvet ones on the top (the ones I had on there are actually a hairpiece/pin that I pinned on temporarily.) Since I'm leaving for vacation soon I didn't have the time or energy to order some, and I won't have any events to wear it to in the near future anyways.
Every hat that I make I get more confidence in my millenarial abilities, so I look forward to making a lot of them in the future!