And now, shameless self-aggrandizement via pictures.
Maman lent me her mother's pearls for the photos!
|As you can see, the bodice suffers to be taken in a bit at the front.|
|Serious side-eye action.|
Pattern: Janet Arnold's 1860s ballgown, and a lot of fudging it. The skirt is box pleated and the sleeve us a normal puff sleeve, but I tacked it down in random places to make it look interesting.
Fabric: Silk taffeta, white cotton lining, antique lace, cotton organdy, silk ribbon, velvet rayon ribbon.
Time: Once I got the fabric, about a week and a half. But lordy, what a challenge that was!
Verdict: Meh. It is exactly what I had expected it to look like. I'm going to seriously refit the bodice before I wear this in public. This is my first time making a dress with princess seams, and the finished garment behaved very differently than my poly taffeta mockup, unfortunately. Luckily, I know what I need to do, I'm just too lazy to do it.
I'm also tepid about the concept of using antique lace for this dress. I found this lace a few summers ago in a Michigan antique store for $5 with a few similar pieces, and I tried to be as careful as possible and used the strongest of the pieces. That being said, I believe there's a special circle of hell for those who use and abuse antique clothing and I don't want to end up there, as the last thing that I want to do would be to ruin this gorgeous lace. So I might take it off as a precaution...
Anyways, I have another modern dress in the making, so I'll probably post that soon. Until then!