The wool that I initially had gotten for the riding habit ended up being a lycra blend, so I didn't want to use it for 18th century. Now I probably have enough wool blend for the rest of my life.
One of my favorite vintage dresses is a plaid 1950s dress that I got in mint condition with the tags still on it, and I feel irresponsible for wearing it instead of preserving it for posterity. So - I made a similar dress so I could wear it without guilt.
|These are not very good quality, sorry!|
Just the Basics:
Year: 1950s, I presume
Pattern: My bodice block
Notions: Wool blend from fashionfabrics.com, zipper from the costume shop
Time: About a week even.
Verdict?: I should have lined it because it's a little bit itchy, but I can always wear a camisole under it. One of the arms is not placed well in the armscythe, so it pitches the back forward; the zipper is also, true to my form, not very well set in. But it is very cute and does its job well! I hope to one day put some more trim on it, I think it looks a little plain. Maybe some thin black velvet to head the tucks and eyelets on the neck and sleeves, like the original.
I've recently gotten my hands on some of B&T's new printed fabric (they're absolutely lovely folks! wow!) as well as some silk organza, which is going to be a few new caps and ruffles. So that ought to give you all a pretty good idea of what's coming down the pike! I hope you all have a lovely new years.