- finish buttonholes and re-set sleeves for my post-APortfolio surprise
- finish new chemise and overhoop petti
- wool 1860s dress
- re-do black silk sleeves
- closure for the black sheer
Yeah... All that in a month or so. And I do so hate doing buttonholes on a sheer that frays as easily as my surprise dress does. :c
In better news, I've had a complete failure trying to make an 1860's hat out of straw. I think I'll leave it to the professionals. I did, however, pick up a straw hat from the resale shop where I usually get my gloves from - it looked a little strange and didn't quite fit my big stupid head, but I thought it had potential.
Unfortunately, I forgot to take the 'before' pictures - just imagine the crown being ~1.5 inches higher. I cut it off and cut it down a bit and sewed it back onto the brim...
and covering the jointure with thin cotton grosgrain ribbon sewed on with silk thread.
|Endless admiration for people who can take flattering selfies. I look really terrified.|
Aaaand I'll probably have to get a different color of elastic. Or maybe I'll just pin it on, erp.
So I went from a questionable straw pith helmet to... Something vaguely in line with 1850s-1860s fashion! It feels sooooo good to have headwear that's not bubblegum pink.
Update: The brim has been wired! Glory glory hallelujah!
|Now 30% more accurate of a shape!|