Monday, February 17, 2014

Revwar basics

Yes, still kitting up, as it were.  Bit by bit.
 Ignore my (admittedly pretty quality) AP Euro t-shirt.
I actually made this last week in a day and a half, which is pretty impressive given my record of procrastination.  We were driving down to Springfield to see the Lincoln Museum, which was a wonderful trip wherein I took selfies with Robert Todd Lincoln, but that's a whole different story.
 The entire cap is one layer, as is correct (instead of double layers with the caul and ruffle sandwiched inbetween)
 The kind of sloppy whipped gathers - each piece was individually hemmed with a rolled hem and then the ruffles were drawn together using the thread from the hem.
 The drawstring at the neck.
The view from the top!

I used Kannik's Corner's mob cap pattern with some very fine linen and cotton tape that I got from Reenactorfest, and will definitely be making a few more of these for Williamsburg (maybe one with a double ruffle, or a pleated ruffle.)

Now I'm on the last leg of refurbishing my black silk 1860s dress and I've rec'd a good amount of royal blue silk taffeta as a present for that blue ballgown that I've been dreaming of ever since I found all of that antique chantilly lace at a thrift store in Watervale.

Hopefully when I'm done with them it won't be too snowy out to take pictures!


  1. Oh that is soooo pretty! I love it! :D Good job, Frieda!


    1. Thanks! It's a little thing, I know, but I like it a lot.

  2. How cute! You look like a doll in it :D

    1. Thanks! I'm gonna iron it a bit at the front before I wear it again. If you'll notice, I didn't do any photos straight on because the ruffles are going all over the place like nooobody's business!