Monday, May 5, 2014

Selfies in interesting headware

Taking pictures of onesself with a handheld is pretty difficult.  I apologize for the orangeish tint.

I decided I needed some more forms of headwear besides my straw plate hat, so I made a silk capote for my camp impression.  It was a quick, easy project, and I made another cap to go with it out of cotton organdy left over from my graduation dress.
       I generally went along Samantha McCarty's guidelines on how to make it, though I winged it a considerable amount.  The silk was left over from my black dress, the brim is cut from the back of my sister's watercolor paper pad, and the pattern is self drafted.  Took approximately two days to make, and the cap took about two days as well.
The brim was the trickiest part and I'm not thrilled with how it turned out, but it's a cute and passable little project to suck up some of my stash.

Speaking of stash taming, I'm doing a little project with my silk duchess satin 1840s dress that I have only worn once.  Let's just say that It's not going to be 1840s for very much longer.

1 comment:

  1. Supah cute! You did a very nice job on the brim too. Can't wait to see what's happened to your 1840's dress, I'm sure it's going to be great :D