So! I have finally almost finished my new pair of handsewn stays. I know, it's been a while, although I do have several excuses (involving work, an amazing Wauconda, and an unexplained illness) as to why the binding is wonky and the lining very much not applied. But I'll save those for later.
On to the trainwreck!
My first two pairs of stays were noticeably much, much too large. And I'm not one to measure twice before I cut once (or measure at all, really) so I did some considerable pattern alteration and made the natural assumption that it was going to stretch with wear. (Which it hopefully will, because...)
You could drive a semi through the back gap. I blame this mostly on my hip-to-waist ratio.
|Teeny tiny stitches!|
Just the facts:
Era: 1770s, presumably
Pattern: J P Ryan's strapless stays, heavily altered
Fabric: Wool gaberdine outer layer, linen interlining, linen thread treated with beeswax, cotton twill binding (though I want to replace it with doe or kid leather at some point) wooden reeding and a few pieces of flat steel for the back and poly satin ribbon (the cotton tape broke....)
Time: About three weeks, on and off
Cost: None! All from the stash.
Thoughts: One of the seams is ripping at the bottom because I tried to pull it in over my hips. That's really all I have to say. If anybody notices that I am wearing it too high or too low please tell me - I'll wear it a bit and see if it molds to my body and if the gap is still that large I'm going to split it and put in two small panels to help even it out. But! Comfortable, and it fits much better.
What I was Watching: Stepford Wives, two seasons of The West Wing, Hannibal, Elizabeth: The Golden Age, listening to WTNV
Edit: This is the same shirt I wore when I took pictures of my old pair! I'm not even going to Dartmouth (it is a really comfy shirt though.)