Monday, October 21, 2013

Flannel and an awful lot of talking

I apologize in advance - this post has no frilly pretties (I think I am done with those for a few months, at least.)
I do, however, have some lovely warmies to show off!  Minooka was as fun as it was last year, but now that we had the tavern I felt as if I was much more a part of the unit because I was in charge of cleaning and cooking and actually working.  In the evening after the dance, everybody came back into the tavern fly and drank and sang and played the fiddle and banjo and it was a prize-winning night. And just as cold as last year, too (34 degrees during the night, erp!) and I was very happy to have a few more articles of warmth.
First, a pair of red cotton flannel drawers (I do know that wool flannel is the pc option, but I bought this before I knew that and decided to make them up anyways, erp.)  They ended up being entirely handsewn by no fault of my own, and they have three tiny tucks at the end.  And yes, they were very warm!


You can see how warm and fuzzy the inside is!

And my sewing machine started working just in time for me to put together a nice big fringed shawl made from leftovers of the silk/wool blend from my middle-class dress.  I followed the instructions on the Sewing Academy - I cut out a 60 x 60 inch square, sewed a line an inch from the edge on the non-selvidge side, and fringed the bejeezus out of it.
Selfie game so strong.

I also picked up a copy of The Way We Were, and got lots of inspiration for re-trimming some of my earlier dresses.

And speaking of earlier dresses...
I won't be in my big, spacious home forever (as in, I will hopefully be moving out next fall), and I need to scrape up some serious cash for my party (to be discussed later,) so I'm selling off some of my 'farbier' earlier outfits.  I'll probably have them up on ebay within the week, so keep your eyes peeled if you need a costumey piece for something!  There will be a polybrocade 1860 dress that would look lovely for period photos, a silk 1830s walking dress with wonderful gigot sleeves, a cotton 1830s dress for a Wives and Daughters themed event, and my black tucked sheer, entirely handmade, to name a few.  I would appreciate the extra liquid assets greatly, because..

 I might be hosting an 1860s ball!

For graduation, my parents are letting me rent out a gorgeous old mansion in our neighborhood and throwing a ball/harp recital there.  I don't know for sure whether it will precipitate, but as money is the only concern and I'll be selling things like mad I think the chances are decent.  I will keep you posted!
(Now, to sew new underthings like mad!)



6 comments:

  1. Talking is fine with me :). (Now to see if I can comment in 120 characters or less)
    I love the drawers! Especially the tucks and the color :). I'm glad to hear that they were warm as well. As much as I like period clothes, I really, really, like the underpinnings! The shawl is so pretty, I'm making a wool one for my little sister tomorrow.
    And yay for the ball!!! I've been reading your posts about it on the SA....it sounds like you're going to have a ton of fun :). I graduate next year as well...but I doubt I'll be throwing a period ball :) *sigh* I'm sure yours will be lovely! Keep us updated on your sewing and planning endeavors!
    ~Theresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Bascha need to get your lovely selves over here to Chi-town and attend the ball! c; You can stay at my place and meet my lovely kitty and we can go fabric shopping together.

      Delete
  2. Oh those are beautiful! The tucks, the seams, the waistband, the colour! I love that colour red! I bet they were comfy! Is it cold up there like it is down here? lol Post pics of the reenactment! Or didn't you get any? :) I agree, talking is good with me! LOL I hope you have fun at your party! Wish I could be there...

    I'm not graduating until year after next, or something like that! LOL I'll probably have a regular graduation party! :D

    Love looking at your clothing it's all so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It dropped down to about 30 f during the night, but I was warned to bring a sleeping bag and did so.

      Delete
  3. Flannel drawers is a good idea...future project! :) Everything you sew is wonderfully done!! I will have to read some of your posts on the SA on the ball, I am not on the computer much. Also that is a great idea for a graduation party!! :D I will be graduating this year! I am going to talk with my mom about having a period ball for my party. ;)

    ~Bascha

    ReplyDelete