Well, I had a bit of fun with this dress. It has gone about as well as my first attempt at making a period correct Civil War dress.
I got the fabric from the Oak Forest 1812 event the first year it happened; I think I got a whole bolt for $10 or so, and it's come back as several incarnations from aprons to linings.
Just the facts:
Fabric: Cotton? Linen? Natural fiber of unknown and unknowable origin. Lined with linen, sewn with linen and cotton thread.
Period: Roughly 1770.
Pattern: JP Ryan, I believe.
Time it took: I started cutting the day break started, with a few days off in the middle, so about a week and a half over all.
What I learned: Always check to make sure that your fashion fabric and lining line up. The sleeves need to be re-done, and the front taken in significantly (as you can see, the closure is off a bit.) Also, I don't know what the drafters were thinking with the sleeves - the pleat was evidently supposed to fit around the elbow snugly, but it hardly comes down past my elbow at all and instead makes that unsightly bump. I think that I'll just cut the pattern off above the elbow for greater practicality and movement anyways.
Over all, though, I'm pretty happy with my first dress for W&M!